Friday, April 15, 2016

Thursday

Today we had a departmental meeting this morning. It  had one big surprise which I can't go into here. We also were assigned our classes for next year. I have six classes next year related in large part to the surprise alluded to above. I have a section of Early Modern European History at main campus (the village) and one at city campus in Accra. I also have Aspects of World History, 1914-1945 at both campuses. Finally, I have History of Europe 1789-1945 for distance learning. On top of these five undergraduate courses I also have a graduate course on the history of race and ethnicity again after a year long break. Fortunately, I have taught all three of these classes multiple times before so the preparation time will be limited.

This afternoon I finished up the last lecture for History of Europe, 1789-1945 for this semester. I covered World War II today. I started on 23 August 1939 with the Molotov - Ribbentrop Pact and went up to 9 May 1945 with the defeat of Nazi Germany. Next week I will finish up my lectures in my two class sections on Aspects of World History, 1945 to Present Day.

2 comments:

derRach said...

RE: "This afternoon I finished up the last lecture for History of Europe, 1789-1945 for this semester. I covered World War II today. I started on 23 August 1939 with the Molotov - Ribbentrop Pact and went up to 9 May 1945 with the defeat of Nazi Germany."

One day to cover WW II? Is this for a survey or introduction class? Seems overly fast too me to do it "justice".

I remember my father telling me about the lessons from 1860 to 1865 that he learned while sitting at the feet of veterans who fought in some of the battles on the porch of the local general store. (No relations though, as his paternal and maternal ancestors came over from German villages in Volhynia circa AD 1900 to America.) During my US History Class I told my father that 1860-1865 was covered in one slim chapter. My history teacher said the essence was "South" bad and "North" good, which left me dissatisfied. So my father recommended that I go to the oldest library in the county before it was demolished and read the books authored by eye witnesses, which I did.

My general question is what are the students in Ghana learning about the rest of the world? Hopefully much more than I learned about my own country in High School!

J. Otto Pohl said...

It is a survey and introduction class. They take my Aspects of World History, 1914-1945 next semester. Also it only covered the war in Europe not Asia and the Pacific. You can do a good basic coverage of the European theatre in two hours if you don't get bogged down into details.