Sunday, June 29, 2014

Ghanaian-Soviet Relations

Today I got a message which noted I was one of the few historians that worked on both the Soviet Union and Ghana. Although truth be told despite working at the University of Ghana, Legon since January 2011, I have not actually published very much dealing specifically with Ghana. In total I think I have two book chapters that make any specific references to Ghana, one of which is still in press. But, as the commemorative stamp from the USSR to the right makes clear there were fairly close connections between Ghana and Moscow during the Nkrumah era from 1957 to 1966. Of course researching these connections in Ghana is difficult since the MFA archives even for events over 50 years old are still inaccessible to academic researchers and are likely to remain so until after I retire. Nonetheless, someday in the distant future somebody will be able to use the PRAAD archives to research Ghanaian-Soviet relations.

No comments: