Tuesday, March 26, 2013

How did Ralph Nader become the number one enemy of the Radical US Left?

I do not understand the radical leftists that control US academia. According to the blogosphere or at least Lawyers, Guns, and Money which represents this elite their two greatest enemies are Glen Greenwald and Ralph Nader. I have no idea who Glen Greenwald is and do not particularly care. I know Ralph Nader is an American of Lebanese heritage who has been involved in various US political issues for a long time. I voted for him in 2000 because I was convinced that the two main parties were so closely attached to Israel that if one of them won they were going to get us involved in a war with an Arab country. I was right. George Bush went to war against Iraq. I understand that the US LEFT is strongly pro-Zionist and anti-Arab, but there has got to be a better enemy for them than Nader. How about Rashid Khalidi at the University of Columbia now that Edward Said is dead? Or maybe Chomsky? Really, I would never have pegged Nader as the arch villain of the American LEFT. It is like reading Stalinists and Maoists denounce Tito for being a "right-winger".

2 comments:

The Ancient said...

A lot of people on the Left blame Nader for Gore's defeat in Florida in 2000. It's not much more complicated than that.

P.S. Here's a bit of counter-mythmaking --

http://www.cagreens.org/alameda/city/0803myth/myth.html

(I find this unpersuasive.)

delagar said...

Right -- I personally think Nader has done a lot of good for America, but it's hard for a lot of us to get past the 2000 election.

The US would be a different country if he hadn't run. Our lives (most of our lives) would be very different if he hadn't given that election to Bush. It's a hard thing to just forget.

OTOH, as my Kentucky grandfather says, you can't saw sawdust.