Monday, November 05, 2012

The Blog as a Private Journal Once Again

This blog has never had more than a dozen readers. So I can not really say that anything I put here has ever gone out to a larger audience. It has not. Instead it has remained material that for the most part that has only been of interest to myself.  My parents and maybe ten other people at most see what I post here and the rest of the world ignores it. I have realized that what I write here is for my own benefit, a private journal or notebook in cyberspace and not any actual transfer of information to other people. If I try and justify posting on this blog as anything other than writing for myself then it is just not worth it. The audience is far too small and I can communicate with most of them better by phoning them.

5 comments:

Withywindle said...

You never know.

LFC said...

I see that at Timothy Burke's blog you claim that only two people "of note" have ever read anything you have written on this blog.

That can quite easily be taken as an insult to everyone else who has ever read a post here. You complain about a lack of readers and then you insult whatever occasional readers you might have. I find that repellent.

LFC said...

You say at T. Burke's blog only two people "of note" have ever read anything you post here. In other words, you complain about a lack of readers and then proceed to insult whatever occasional readers you might have.

J. Otto Pohl said...

Well LFC I have no idea whether you are some one of note because you do not use your full name. In clear and direct violation of my stated commenting policy. But, I hardly consider it insulting to note that my mother is not famous.

LFC said...

I didn't mean to post the same comment twice. Sorry about that.

I was unaware of your commenting policy requiring the use of full names.

The point is not that I am someone "of note" (I'm not), but rather that I don't think this sort of thing exactly encourages people to read your blog. But how you deal w these things is of course up to you.