Sunday, November 11, 2012

New Book Store

Across the street from the university they are putting together a new mall. The anchor is the Max Mart on the ground floor. But, on the second floor up there is a huge book store with an incredible selection. The prices are also reasonable. Fiction costs 12 cedis and non-fiction 10 cedis. I purchased five books there yesterday. Spending 54 cedis was a bit of splurge for me, but the more I think about it the more I think it was worth it. I am used to paying 2.50 cedis for used books at the University book store, but the supply is drying up. Currently I am reading Paul French's North Korea: The Paranoid Peninsula - A Modern History (London: Zed, 2004). For 10 cedis (five dollars) I got a pretty good deal. I see that Amazon UK is selling the book for 57 pounds or the equivalent of 230 cedis ($115). I never understood how prices could be so high in the UK. For these type of prices to make sense the average starting lecturer in the UK would have to make 200,000 pounds a year.

No comments: