Thursday, February 04, 2010

Between a Journal Article and a Book

It seems to me that the average academic journal at 5-8 thousand words is too short and the average academic book at 80-100 thousand words is too long for some of the types of writing I would like to do. Right now I have just cut a journal article down from nearly 11 thousand words to under 8 thousand. But, if there were a publishing venue I could easily see writing pieces that are 20-30 thousand words. However, there seem to be no publishing outlets for academic works between the 8 thousand word maximum of a journal article and the 80 thousand words of a short monograph. Am I the only person who laments the absence of an intermediate length academic publication between these two extremes?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Carl Beck Papers. Donald Treadgold Papers. Just to name two options in the Russia field.

Steve Johnston said...

Is this the same Otto Pohl who graduated from Grinnell College in 1992? I live in CA now and i thought you did to so i searched the web to see if you were local - doesnt look like it. What you up to?

J. Otto Pohl said...

Steve it is the same Otto Pohl. I am currently living and working in Kyrgyzstan. It has been snowing nonstop for the last two days.

Steve Johnston said...

shoot me your email address when you have a chance (sjohnston@oaklandathletics.com). I would love to catch up and stay in touch.

Steve Johnston said...

Shoot me your email (sjohnston@oaklandathletics.com). Would love to catch up and stay in touch.