Monday, October 12, 2009

The Current Status of Students from Turkmenistan

The few Turkmen students still here will probably all finish out this academic year at AUCA. This means that a large number of them will graduate. However, it looks like the Turkmen government will continue to ban those AUCA students still in Turkmenistan from coming to Kyrgyzstan to complete their educations. This ban appears at this point to be indefinite. It also appears very likely that no further Turkmen students will be allowed to leave their country to attend AUCA in the foreseeable future. I find this most unfortunate. Some of my best students have come from Turkmenistan. Their absence will make AUCA a less intellectually diverse place.

2 comments:

Madina said...

Thank you, Otto, for the worries about Turkmen AUCA students! I am one of your students, I took Comparative Politics from you and Emir last year. But now, I am stuck in Turkmenistan with the rest. I was glad to see that you had several posts regarding our travel ban.

Madina said...

Thank you, Otto, for the worries about Turkmen AUCA students. I am one of your students, I took Comparative Politics from you and Emir last year. But now I am stuck here with the rest..
Anyways, I am glad that you have several posts, regarding our travel ban. Thank..