This morning the laptop I was writing Catherine's Grandchildren on completely died. The thing was quite old. I am not sure exactly how old, but I know I had it when I first went to SOAS almost six years ago. Fortunately, I had saved everything on a disk yesterday. So I only lost what little editing I had done this morning. In total I only lost about 30 minutes worth of work.
I transferred the manuscript from the disk to another laptop which I think is about four years old. I hope it can last another three weeks so I can complete the book manuscript. At any rate after loading it on the other laptop and retyping the lost work I realized I only had one back up copy now. I also had no spare disks. So after some freaking out I decided the best thing would be to e-mail myself a copy of the manuscript. Now I have a safe copy in cyberspace. I also got a couple of spare disks from Chris O'Byrne today. Tomorrow I am going to put a copy of the manuscript on each one of them. That way I will have multiple back up copies of the manuscript and should be able to get the book finished by my 12 June 2007 deadline without any horrible mishaps.