Thursday, February 02, 2006

State of the Blog Address

Trying to figure out who reads this blog is an occult craft that makes old style Sovietology back before Gorbachev look like a straight forward and exact science. I do not have a site meter, but I have checked some other quantitative tools. According to my Blogger Profile a total of 1500 people now have looked me up. Now it is possible that a few of those 1500 are the same people using different terminals. But, even taking them into account somewhere in the order of twice the population of Arivaca have viewed that page. Based on comments, e-mails and other sources I only have evidence that around 30 people have read this blog. Who are the other 1400+ people? I can not imagine that US and foreign intelligence agents assigned to watch me would number more than 20. I am having difficulty really believing that 1500 people have actually read this blog. If you are one of the people reading this blog I do not know and you are not a spook then I invite you to leave a note in the comments. If you are a US spook please send me an e-mail telling me how I can get a job working for your agency. I am willing to relocate anywhere in the world and I work cheap. People other than spooks with jobs to offer me should also contact me immediately. I figure there must be one among the 1500.

Of course it could be that most of the 1500 that visited my profile only visited here once never to return. But, other quantitative measures suggest that I do have some sort of regular readership. I have in the past estimated it at between half a dozen and a dozen people. According to Technorati this blog is in the top 75,000 out of over 25 million blogs. At first that seems to be a pretty good ranking. In reality it probably means that over 20 million blogs have been abandoned and currently have no regular readers. The Truth Laid Bear reports that my blog has evolved upward from being a multi-cellular organism to being a wiggly worm. My goal is to eventually become a vertebrate of some sort.

6 comments:

michael the tubthumper said...

i drop in reasonably regularly.

i didn't know about that ranking thing on technorati till you mentioned it either

thanks

Chris O'Byrne said...

A lot of these so-called visits are bots that constantly search and categorize the internet. For example, Google, Technorati, Yahoo, and many others will visit your blog on a regular basis and those show up as visitors.

As for spooks, well, we can't talk about that under such open circumstances.

J. Otto Pohl said...

Chris: Bots? So the number of humans that have read my blog probably is only about 100? How many are spies? To quote Jackson Brown, "I want to know who the men in the shadows are."

KRISTIN said...

I'm sure you could find a job here, Otto. C'mon over! :P

J. Otto Pohl said...

Kristin: A year ago I spent a week in Estonia begging everybody I knew in Tartu and Tallinn for a job. I would love to work at the university in Tartu. But, there was nothing open.

Ahistoricality said...

Actually, the blog profile counter isn't as discriminating as all that. I haven't seen a lot of evidence of 'bots running up the score, but it counts up every time someone views the profile, even if they've viewed it before. Could be a few folks who keep losing your e-mail address....