Saturday, January 28, 2006

Walking the Perimeter with Blaster

Since the start of the year I have been walking around the perimeter of my uncle's property on a daily basis. It is marked by a barbed wire fence to keep out the neighbor's cattle. The distance is 0.42 miles or about 700 meters for my European readers. It takes me about a half an hour due to the rugged nature of the land. Often the dog, Blaster, follows me on these walks. The other day I had to perform emergency field surgery on him when he stepped on a chollo bud. I had to pull the spiked ball out of his paw using only my bare hands. In the last couple days I have taken to walking the perimeter twice a day. During this same time I have noticed that there have been alot more overflights by border patrol. I have no doubt they have increased their presence as a result of the recent armed incursions from across the border.

4 comments:

Chris O'Byrne said...

Perhaps the Border Patrol's OTM Reinforcement Unit is determined to keep you from defecting across the border!

I am saddened by our move, Otto. I really enjoyed getting to know you and was looking forward to another smoke. If you ever get up to Minnesota...

Sara Mathewson said...

And, how is your hand? Is Blaster ok? That had to hurt big time.

J. Otto Pohl said...

Chris: No it was armed Mexicans shooting at US agents in Nogales that has led to the increased patrols. I understand why you and Sara went back to MN. But, I am sorry to see you guys leave Arivaca. You are always welcome to come visit here.

Sara: My hand and the dog are just fine.

J. Otto Pohl said...

Ms. Hoffman: I am interested in all the Russian-Germans. Most of my work has been on the deportations and special settlement regime. I have alot of stuff on the group as whole in my archives.