Friday, December 16, 2005

Sunshine again

Yesterday was cloudy again. But, today we have sunshine. That means we also have water. After I take a shower I am going to sit in the Hookah lounge and work on my book chapter that I still need to finish editing. It is on the loss, retention and re-aquisition of social capital among the deported peoples in the USSR. It is more interesting than it sounds. Today's hookah flavor is vanilla. Chris is not allowed near the hookah with any chile peppers. Also a piece of trivia for Kristin. An Ottoman Sultan was the first person to smoke tobacco from a hookah which is known in Turkish as a narghile.

4 comments:

Chris O'Byrne said...

You're no fun!!

KRISTIN said...

We sell hookahs in our little store but I have never tried it myself. Is it any different than smoking cigarettes? How? Is it less dangerous?
*Otto-man Empire sounds good :)

J. Otto Pohl said...

Hookah smoking is much different than smoking cigarettes. It is a safer form of smoking, yes. They wash the tar and most of the nicotine out of the tabacco. They then mix the tabacco with a mixture of 2/3 fruit to 1/3 tobacco usually. Apple is the most common flavor. Then the smoke is filtered through water. It is also much cheaper than cigarettes. A box of tabacco cost about $7.00 and is good for about six to seven smoking sessions of three to four hours each. But, the main thing is the taste is much different. I don't like cigarettes, but I love the hookah. It is also a social thing.

KRISTIN said...

Thank you! It was enlightening :)